At least 13 dead as more than 700 firefighters tackle Hong Kong blaze

Foreign News

Read also:

The blaze broke out at Wang Fuk Court, a large housing complex in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district, at 14:51 local time on Wednesday (06:51 GMT).

Wang Fuk Court consists of eight tower blocks, which are each 31-storeys high.

They provide 1,984 apartments for some 4,600 residents, according to the 2021 government census.

Built in 1983, the tower blocks were undergoing renovations, and the outside of the buildings was covered in bamboo scaffolding. Footage shows the fire spreading quickly through the bamboo.

I’m just thinking about where I’m going to sleep tonight – Wang Fuk Court resident

Harry Cheung, who has lived in block two of the Wang Fuk Court complex for more than 40 years, tells Reuters he heard “a very loud noise at around 14:45” (06:45 GMT) and saw fire erupt in a nearby block.

“I immediately went back to pack up my things,” the 66-year-old resident says.

“I don’t even know how I feel right now. I’m just thinking about where I’m going to sleep tonight because I probably won’t be able to go back home.”

Over a thousand residents moved into nearby shelter, councillor tells

Tai Po District Councillor Mui Siu-fung tells BBC Chinese that Wang Fuk Court, the housing estate involved in the incident, comprises eight blocks – all currently undergoing major repairs. Seven of these blocks were affected by the fire, with external scaffolding severely damaged.

“The block where the fire first started – you could see flames inside through the windows,” he says. The remaining block did not catch fire, though Mui noted it initially had a small blaze “but firefighters immediately put it out from below, so that block didn’t burn”.

He adds that firefighters are currently unable to enter the buildings safely to carry out search and rescue operations.

Mui said that around 15:00 local time (07:00 GMT), residents began evacuating gradually: “I think about 95% of the residents have already been evacuated, and three nearby public housing blocks have also been cleared.”

He notes that at one evacuation point near the fire scene – the Kwong Fuk Shopping Centre – there were roughly over a thousand residents.

The Home Affairs Department has since opened several community centres as temporary shelters, with some schools also made available for relocation.

‘It’s a disaster,’ says university student

I just spoke with a student who says he saw a body being taken away. He is one of many people looking on.

“When you get closer the heat rises and you can feel it and the smoke is really heavy. It’s a disaster,” Tomas Liu tells me.

“It’s burned for such a long time. From the afternoon till now. I hope everyone can be safe.”

Nine people declared dead at the scene – Hong Kong fire department

Of the 13 people who have died, nine were declared dead at the scene, Chou Wing-yin of the Fire Services Department has told a press briefing.

Six others were sent to hospital in serious condition.

Hong Kong fire department revises number of injured

We’re hearing more from Hong Kong authorities, who have now revised the number of those injured in the Wang Fuk Court fire down to 15.

A little earlier, the fire service had said 28 people had been injured in the blaze.

We can smell the fire from 500m away

We can smell heavy smoke right after we leave Tai Po train station, which is about 500m from the fire.

On our way to the scene, plenty of onlookers are anxiously watching the burning buildings.

Dozens of fire trucks are deployed to the scene – parking just outside the burning blocks.

Even now, new trucks keep arriving, firefighters getting oxygen tanks from them.

At least 13 dead and 28 injured in fire

The death toll from the Tai Po fire has dramatically risen from 4 to 13, according to Hong Kong authorities.

Details have also emerged from the press conference that 28 people have been injured as a result of the fire at the apartment block complex, where 767 firefighters have been deployed.

John Lee Ka-chiu, Hong Kong’s chief executive, has expressed his condolences over the deaths of four people as a result of the Tai Po district fire.

Lee says in a Facebook post that he has held an emergency meeting to arrange full assistance to affected residents, adding he has told the fire department and security bureau to do their “utmost in firefighting, rescue, and medical treatment”.

He says the social welfare department has set up assistance stations at the scene, and the hospital authority has activated its emergency response.

Dead firefighter described as ‘dedicated and gallant’

A firefighter who died responding to the Wang Fuk Court fire has been remembered as “dedicated and gallant”.

In a statement released by the Hong Kong government, director of fire services Andy Yeung says he is profoundly saddened by the death of Ho Wai-ho on Wednesday.

Ho, 37, was found collapsed at the scene of the fire before being taken to Prince of Wales Hospital, where he died at 16:41 local time (08:41 GMT) after sustaining injuries in the blaze, the government says.

“Having been a member of the Fire Services Department for about nine years, Mr Ho’s performance was valiant. I am profoundly grieved at the loss of this dedicated and gallant fireman,” Yeung says.

“All of our colleagues are deeply saddened by the loss of such a devoted comrade. On behalf of all our colleagues, I have offered the deepest condolences to his family.”

Roads shut and buses diverted away from fire – Hong Kong transport department

Several roads have been closed and more than 30 bus routes have been diverted away from the fire, Hong Kong’s Transport department says.

It adds that it is “closely monitoring the real-time traffic situation” as the fire continues.

Hong Kong blaze: What we know – and don’t know – so far

Flames are still tearing through the Wang Fuk Court residential complex in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district. We’re continuing to monitor the latest developments, but there are still many unanswered questions.

What we know:

  • The fire began at Wang Fuk Court in Hong Kong’s northern Tai Po district on Wednesday afternoon
  • The building is home to 4,600 people and has nearly 2,000 flats. It was undergoing renovation when the blaze broke out
  • The fire has been updated to a level 5 – which is the most serious category
  • At least four people have died, three are in critical condition, one is in serious condition and another is stable, the Hong Kong government has said
  • Among those killed is a firefighter who was battling the blaze, Hong Kong’s fire department has told the BBC
  • At least 13 people are still trapped in the fire, former district councillor Herman Yiu Kwan-ho told local media
  • Police have evacuated nearby buildings, set up a casualty hotline and the government says it has opened temporary shelters

  • What caused the fire
  • If there are anymore injuries or deaths
  • Exactly how many more people are trapped in the buildings
  • How long it will take to put the fire out

Seventeen years since last level 5 fire

It’s been 17 years since a grade 5 fire last hit Hong Kong.

In 2008, Cornwall Court – in the commercial district of Mong Kok – caught on fire. Four people died during that incident. That commercial building was built in 1962.

Authorities upgraded Wednesday’s Tai Po fire from level 4 to 5 at 18:22 local time (10:22 UK time).

Scores of people are looking at a building complex in flames

It’s a surreal sight.

As soon as you come out of Tai Po Market station, scores of people are looking at a building complex in flames. You can see individual rooms lit up in flames.

One man watching said he fears it could burn long into the night.

Apartment blocks home to around 4,600 people

Flats in Wang Fuk Court average between 400 and 500 square feet. The estate, completed in 1983, consists of eight residential blocks with nearly 2,000 flats.

The estate is situated by the sea and adjacent to major highways, and houses around 4,600 residents as of the 2021 government census.

Hong Kong’s housing estates are typically characterised by their compact design, with small units densely arranged and buildings standing close together.

Families often live in modest apartments where every square foot is carefully utilised. This density means that incidents, such as fires, can quickly affect large numbers of residents.

In this case, the blaze was seemingly worsened by surrounding bamboo scaffolding. It is relatively rare for a fire to spread across multiple buildings within a single estate.

Fire service lost contact with firefighter before his death

As we’ve been reporting, a firefighter is one of those confirmed dead in the blaze.

The fire service says they lost contact with the firefighter at around 15:30 local time, before they located him at 16:00.

He was taken to hospital, where he was later confirmed dead at 16:45.

The firefighter was 37 years old, and had been with the service for nine years.

At least one other firefighter is in hospital, the fire service says.

At least 13 people still trapped in blaze – reports

At least 13 people are still trapped in the burning high rise buildings in Tai Po, former district councillor Herman Yiu Kwan-ho has told a local newspaper.

This includes eight elderly residents and two babies, he told the South Morning China Post. The BBC has not independently verified these numbers.

Herman Yiu Kwan-ho said about 14 cats were also trapped in the blaze.

Elderly residents arrive at temporary shelter

Elderly residents, some using walking sticks or wheelchairs, have made their way to a nearby designated temporary shelter.

Coaches will later transfer them to nearby community halls which will remain open overnight to accommodate those displaced by the fire.

Summary

  • At least 13 people have been killed and 15 have been injured in a major fire engulfing apartment blocks in the the Tai Po district of Hong Kong
  • More than 700 firefighters are at the scene trying to tackle the blaze at Wang Fuk Court – which houses about 4,600 residents
  • Dozens of fire trucks are deployed to the scene – even now, new trucks keep arriving, writes BBC Chinese’s Phoebe Kong from the scene
  • The government has paid tribute to a 37-year-old firefighter who died fighting the blaze, describing him as “dedicated and gallant”
  • Some people are reportedly still trapped in the buildings, though that hasn’t been confirmed
  • The fire has been classed as a level five – the most serious level in Hong Kong

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *